Iran: Investigate Detained Blogger’s Death

Human Rights Watch :
Culture of Impunity Plagues Prisons, Detention Facilities
With more than a dozen deaths in the past four years, Iran’s prisons are rapidly turning into death traps for detainees, including people who should never have been behind bars to begin with.
Iranian authorities should investigate the death of a 35-year-old blogger in custody and immediately provide his family with information about the circumstances of his death. Initial reports suggest that he may have died from ill-treatment or torture.
The blogger, Sattar Beheshti was arrested by Iran’s cyberpolice on October 30, 2012, when they raided his mother’s home in Robat Karim, 25 kilometers outside of Tehran. The police confiscated a number of his personal belongings, including his computer. The police unit, also known as “FATA, ”was established in January 2011 to enforce laws aimed at regulating online speech and content considered to violate Iran’s national security or moral legislation. People who spoke to the family told Human Rights Watch that the family tried to get information about Beheshti’s whereabouts and the reason for his arrest from security and judicial officials, but that they heard nothing until November 6, 2012, when police officials told the family he had died in custody.
“With more than a dozen deaths in the past four years, Iran’s prisons are rapidly turning into death traps for detainees, including people who should never have been behind bars to begin with, ”said Eric Goldstein, deputy Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. “The onus is on Iranian officials, including high-ranking prison officials and members of the judiciary, to immediately come clean about what happened to Beheshti and punish those responsible.”
The exact circumstances and cause of death are not known at this point, and the authorities have not publicly accepted any responsibility for Beheshti’s death.
His death brings to at least 15 the number of people detained for exercising their basic rights who have since 2009 died in custody or as a result of injuries during their detention from alleged mistreatment or neglect. Human Rights Watch has compiled information from witnesses, family members, and other sources suggesting that at least 13 of them died as a result of physical abuse or torture. No high-ranking officials have been brought to justice for any of these deaths.
According to a report on BBC Persian, authorities buried him in Robat Karim, his hometown, but allowed only his brother-in-law to attend the funeral. A source close to the family told Human Rights Watch that after the family gave interviews to opposition websites about Beheshti’s death, the authorities have put tremendous pressure on the family to stop.
On November 6, 2012, reports surfaced on several opposition sites, including Kalemeand Saham News, both of which are close to opposition figures, that witnesses inside Ward 350 of Evin prison, where many political prisoners are held, had seen Beheshti with injuries on his arms, legs, and face. The unconfirmed reports said that Beheshti had been injured during his arrest and interrogation. The reports indicated that Beheshti’s family, including his ailing mother, became extremely worried about his health and tried to get information about his condition from Evin and other officials without success.
On November 8 Kaleme reproduced a copy of a letter allegedly written bv Beheshti in which he protested his ill-treatment at the hands of Tehran’s cyberpolice. The letter says the police threatened and beat him during interrogation sessions for two days. “I hold [the cyberpolice] responsible for anything that happens to me, and declare that any confessions taken from me were extracted under torture, which I was subjected to during my 12 hours in room 2 of Ward 350 [of Evin prison], ”the letter was quoted as saying. Human Rights Watch has not been able to independently verify the authenticity of the letter…
Officials had previously arrested Beheshti for his criticism of the government during student protests that took place in Tehran during July 2003.
Since 2009, Human Rights Watch has documented numerous cases of ill-treatment, torture, or medical neglect of detainees, some of which led to deaths. On March 6, 2009, Amir Hossein Heshmat Saran, a 49-year-old prisoner at Rajai Shahr prison outside of Tehran, died at the Rajayi Shahr public hospital in Karaj. It was not clear whether Saran died as a result of mistreatment or medical neglect. On March 18 of the same year Omidreza Mirsayafi, a blogger, died in a hospital, authorities said, after doctors diagnosed him with very low blood pressure and transferred him to the prison infirmary. According to reports at the time, his family said he bore signs of ill-treatment, including a broken skull and bruises on his body.
Three detainees – Amir Javadifar, Mohammad Kamrani, and Mohsen Ruholamini – died in July 2009 at Kahrizak detention facility outside of Tehran, which was operated by Iran’s police forces and housed protesters who participated in anti-government demonstrations after the disputed 2009 presidential election and the violent government crackdown that followed. In 2010, the victims’ families and rights activists reported that two other detainees, Ramin Aghazadeh Ghahremani and Abbas Nejati-Kargar, died after their release from the facility, due, they said, to injuries suffered in custody there. Authorities have denied that their deaths are linked injuries at Kahrizak.
In December 2009, a military court charged 11 police officers and a private citizen who allegedly collaborated with the police with murder over the deaths at Kahrizak. On June 30, 2010, Iranian media reported that the military court convicted and sentenced two of the defendants to death, fines, lashings, and monetary compensation to the victims’ families. Nine others received undisclosed prison sentences and fines, according to media reports. But the court acquitted the highest-ranking defendant, General Azizollah Rajabzadeh, who headed Tehran’s police force at the time, of all charges. No other high-ranking security or police officials implicated in the deaths were ever put on trial or brought to justice.
According to Ahwazi Arab rights activists, at least another six detainees have been tortured to death in the custody of security and intelligence forces in connection with anti-government demonstrations that swept across Khuzestan province in April 2011 and again in April 2012.
Hoda Saber, a journalist and political activist who was serving a prison sentence in Ward 350 of Evin prison, died on June 10, 2011, at a Tehran hospital after a hunger strike to protest the death of another political activist who died after security forces attacked her during her father’s funeral. On the eighth day of his hunger strike prison officials transferred Saber to the prison infirmary with chest and stomach pains. The International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran reported that security officials posing as medical personnel severely beat Saber in the infirmary, and later failed to transfer him to the hospital in a timely matter after he had a heart attack.
International and Iranian law require prison authorities to provide detainees with adequate medical care. Iran’s State Prison Organization regulations state that, if necessary, detainees must be transferred to a hospital outside the prison facility. The United Nations Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners require authorities to transfer prisoners needing specialist treatment to specialized institutions, including civilian hospitals.
Both Iranian law and international law require prison authorities to provide basic necessities to all prisoners and to treat them with dignity and respect. The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, to which Iran is a state party, prohibits inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

عدم پاسخگویی پدیده‌ای حکمفرما در زندان‏ها و بازداشتگاه‏های ایران
ایران: مرگ وبلاگ نویس زندانی را تحقیق کنید
عدم پاسخگویی پدیده‌ای حکمفرما در زندان‏ها و بازداشتگاه‏های ایران
 ( بیروت) - دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر امروز اعلام کرد که مقامات ایرانی باید مرگ یک وبلاگ نویس ٣٥ ساله را مورد بررسی قرار داده و بلافاصله اطلاعات چگونگی مرگ او را در اختیار خانواده‌اش بگذارد. گزارش‏های اولیه نشان می‏دهند که ممکن است این شخص درنتیجه بدرفتاری و یا شکنجه در زندان جان سپرده باشد.
این وبلاگ نویس، ستار بهشتی، ٣٠ اکتبر ٢٠١٢، در خانه مادرش در رباط کریم که حدود ٢٥ کیلومتری تهران واقع است توسط پلیس سایبری بازداشت شد. پلیس تعدادی از وسایل شخصی او، از جمله کامپیوترش را مصادره کردند. این واحد پلیسی در ژانویه ٢٠١١ تأسیس گردید و هم‌چنان به‌عنوان «فتا» یا پلیس فضای تولید و تبادل اطلاعات نیروی انتظامی‌شناخته می‏شود. هدف این واحد تنظیم صحبت و یا محتوای آنلاین است که به نظر می‏رسد با امنیت ملی یا قوانین اخلاقی ایران مغایرت دارد. افرادی که با خانواده او صحبت کردند به دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر گفتند که اعضای خانواده تلاش خود را کردند تا اطلاعات بیشتری در رابطه با مکان و دلیل بازداشت او از مقامات قضایی و امنیتی کسب کنند، اما هیچ اطلاعی راجع به وضعیت وی دریافت نکردند تا ۶ نوامبر، روزی که پلیس به خانواده بهشتی خبر دادند که ایشان در هنگام بازداشت در گذشته است.
اریک گلدستاین، معاون مدیر بخش خاورمیانه در دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر گفت: «با بیش از دوازده کشته در چهار سال اخیر، زندان‏های ایران به سرعت به تله‏های مرگ تبدیل می‏شوند، به‌خصوص برای اشخاصی که از ابتدا نباید بازداشت می‏شدند. وی افزود: «مقامات ایرانی، از جمله مقامات عالی‌رتبه زندان و اعضای قوه قضاییه، وظیفه دارند بلافاصله از آن‌چه بر بهشتی گذشته خبر داده و افرادی که دست به این جنایت زده‌اند را مجازات کنند».
شرایط دقیق و چگونگی مرگ بهشتی شناخته نشده و تا‌کنون هیچ مقام ایرانی علناً مسئولیتاین حادثه را برعهده نگرفته است.
با مرگ بهشتی تعداد بازداشت شدگانی که برای استفاده از حقوق اولیه خود محبوش شدند و از سال ٢٠٠٩ در زندان‏های ایران بوده و یا بعد از آزادی‏شان به واسطه جراحاتی که در جریان بازداشت آنان در اثر شکنجه و بدرفتاری به آنان وارد شده و یا عدم رسیدگی جان باخته‌اند حداقل ١٥ نفر می‏باشد. در طول این مدت دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر از شاهدان، اعضای خانواده، و منابع دیگر اطلاعتی جمع‌آوری کرده که نشان می‏دهد ١٣ تن از این زندانیان به‌خاطر ضربه‏های جسمی و شکنجه جان خود را از دست دادند. تا به‌حال هیچ مقام عالی‌رتبه برای این کشتارها محاکمه نشده است.
بر اساس گزارش بی.بی.سی فارسی، مقامات دولتی بهشتی را در رباط کریم دفن کرده اما فقط به داماد خانواده‌اش اجازه حضور در مراسم خاکسپاری را دادند. یک منبع نزدیک به خانواده بهشتی به سازمان دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر گفته است که مقامات دولتی فشار زیادی بر خانواده‌اش وارد کردند تا دست از هرگونه مصاحبه با سایت‏های مخالف بردارند.
در تاریخ ۶نوامبر، چند سایت خبری مخالف، از جمله «کلمه» و «سهام نیوز» که به چهره‏های اپوزیسیون نیز نزدیک هستند، گزارش دادند که چند شاهد بهشتی را در بند سیاسی ٣٥٠ اوین دیده‌اند که بر روی دست و پا و صورتش صدماتی مشخص بوده است. طبق این گزارش‏های تأیید نشده، بهشتی در هنگام بازجویی و بازداشت مصدوم شده است. در این گزارش‏ها آمده است که خانواده بهشتی، از جمله مادر بیمارش، به‌شدت در مورد سلامتی او نگران بوده و تلاش کرده‌اند تا در مورد وضعیت وی از مقامات بازداشتگاه اوین معلوماتی کسب کنند اما موفق نشده‌اند.
در روز ٨ نوامبر، سایت خبری «کلمه» نسخه نامه‌یی را چاپ کرد که ظاهرأ توسط بهشتی نوشته شده بود و در آن وی به بدرفتاری و خشونت پلیس سایبری اعتراض کرده بود. در این نامه آمده است که پلیس بهشتی را در طی بازجوی دو روزه مورد ضرب و تهدید قرار داده‌اند. مطابق این نامه بهشتی نشوته است: «عواقب هر اتفاقی که برایم پیش آید مقصر] را [پلیس فتا می‌دانم و همین‌طور اگر اعترافی از بنده گرفته شود تحت شکنجه بوده] و [در مدت ۱۲ساعت ماندن در بند ۳۵۰اتاق دو] صورت گرفته شده است [». دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر تا‌کنون قادر نبوده است به‌طور مستقل صحت این نامه را تأیید کند.
روز ٢٩ اکتبر، در یکبلاگ منسوب به بهشتی به نام «انتقاد»، نویسنده می‏گوید که وی به‌خاطر فعالیت وبلاگ‌نویسی‌اش تهدید شده است. «دیروز بنده را تهدید می‏کنند به مادرت بگو به‌زودی رخت سیاه باید بپوشد، دهان گشادت را نمی‌بندی..».. نویسنده بدون آن که تهدید کنندگان را معرفی کند، می‏نویسد که آنان وی را تهدید کرده‌اند و مدعی بودند که هر کاری دلشان بخواهد انجام می‏دهند تا فعالیت خود را متوقف کند، اما با این وجود وی سکوت نخواهد کرد. دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر نتوانسته تا‌کنون صحت این پست را به‌طور مستقل تأیید کند.
مقامات قبلاً هم بهشتی را در ژوئیه سال ٢٠٠٣ برای انتقاد از دولت هنگام تظاهرات دانشجویی در تهران دستگیر کرده بودند.
دیده‌بان حقوق‌بشر از سال ٢٠٠٩ تا کنون، موارد متعددی از بدرفتاری، شکنجه و غفلت پزشکی از بازداشت‌شدگان جمع‌آوری کرده که بعضی از آنها منجر به مرگ شده‌اند. در ٦ مارس ٢٠٠٩، امیر حسین حشمت ساران، زندانی ٤٩ ساله در زندان رجایی شهر در خارج از تهران، در بیمارستان دولتی رجایی شهر در کرج درگذشت. معلوم نیست که ساران به‌خاطر بدرفتاری یا غفلت پزشکی در گذشته است. در روز ١٨ مارس همان سال، امید رضا میرصیافی، وبلاگ نویس، در بیمارستان فوت کرد. مقامات مدعی بودند که میرصیافی پس از این‌که پزشکان زندان تشخیص پایین بودن فشار خون وی را دادند به بهداری زندان و بعد به بیمارستان منتقل شد و جان خود را از دست داد. بر اساس گزارش‏های آن زمان، خانواده میرصیافی گفتند که نشانه‏های بدرفتاری، از جمله جمجمه شکسته و کبودی بر روی بدنش پیدا بود.
سه تن از بازداشت‌شدگان - امیر جوادی فر، محمد کامرانی و محسن روح الامینی - در ژوئیه سال ٢٠٠٩ در بازداشتگاه کهریزک در خارج از تهران جان خود را از دست دادند. این بازداشتگاه توسط نیروهای پلیس اداره می‏شد و مکان بازداشت بسیاری از تظاهرکنندگان ضددولتی بود که پس از انتخابات جنجال برانگیز ریاست‌جمهوری ٢٠٠٩ در خیابان‏ها دچار سرکوب خشونت‌آمیز مأموران شدند. در سال ٢٠١٠، خانواده‏های قربانیان و فعالان حقوق‌بشر گزارش دادند که دو تن از بازداشت‌شدگان دیگر، رامین آقازاده قهرمانی و عباس نجاتی کارگر، پس از آزاد شدن بر اثر صدماتی که به آنها در کهریزک وارد شده بود، در گذشتند. مقامات هرگونه ارتباطی بین بازداشت و مرگ این افراد را انکار کرده‌اند.
در دسامبر سال ٢٠٠٩، یک دادگاه نظامی ١١ افسر و یک شهروند که ظاهرأ با پلیس همکاری کرده بود را در رابطه با کشتارهای کهریزک محکوم کرد. در ٣٠ ژوئن ٢٠١٠، رسانه‌های ایران گزارش دادند که دادگاه نظامی دو نفر را به اعدام، شلاق، و پرداخت دیه به خانوادهای قربانیان محکوم کرد. این دادگاه نه نفر دیگر را به زندان و جریمه‏های نامشخص محکوم کرد . اما عالی رتبه‌ترین متهم، سرتیپ عزیزالله رجب زاده، که در آن زمان پلیس تهران را رهبری می‏کرد، از تمام اتهامات تبرئه شد. هیچ مقام عالی‌رتبه دیگری از پلیس و یا نیروی امنیتی که ظاهرأ در کشتارها دست داشته‌اند تا به‌حال مجازات نشده است.
به گزارش فعالان حقوق عرب‏های اهوازی، حداقل ٦ تن از بازداشت‌شدگان دیگر در بازداشت نیروهای امنیتی و اطلاعاتی در ارتباط با تظاهرات ضددولتی که در سراسر خوزستان در ماه‏های آوریل سال ٢٠١١ و ٢٠١٢ صورت گرفت زیر شکنجه جان خود را از دست دادند.
هدی صابر، روزنامه‌نگار و فعال سیاسی که در حال گذراندن حکم زندان در بند ٣٥٠ زندان اوین بود، در ١٠ ژوئن ٢٠١١ در یک بیمارستان تهران پس از اعتصاب غذا در اعتراض به مرگ یک فعال سیاسی دیگر (که پس از حمله نیروهای امنیتی در تشییع جنازه پدرش فوت کرد) جان خود را از دست داد. صابر در روز هشتم اعتصاب به‌خاطر درد سینه و معده به بهداری زندان منتقل شد. کمپین بین‌المللی حقوق‌بشر در ایران گزارش داده است که مقامات امنیتی که به‌عنوان پرسنل پزشکی به آن‌جا آمده بودند، به‌شدت صابر را در بهداری مورد ضرب‌وشتم قرار دادند و پس از این‌که صابر دچار سکته قلبی شد مأموران او را بلافاصله به بیمارستان منتقل نکردند.
قوانین ایرانی و بین‌المللی مقامات زندان را مسؤل ارائه مراقبت‏های پزشکی کافی می‏داند. مقررات سازمان دولتی زندان‏ها در ایران نیز می‏گوید که در صورت لزوم، بازداشت‌شدگان باید به یک بیمارستان خارج از زندان منتقل شوند. قاعده‌ها حداقل استاندارد سازمان ملل ‌متحد برای رفتار با زندانیان هم مقامات دولتی را موظف می‏کند که زندانیانی را که نیاز به درمان مخصوص دارند به بیمارستان‏های ویژه، از جمله بیمارستان‏های غیرنظامی، منتقل کنند.
هم قوانین ایران و قوانین بین‌المللی، دولت ایران را مکلف می‏سازند تا نیازهای اولیه زندانیان را برطرف کرده و با آنها محترمانه و بر طبق منزلت انسانی رفتار کنند. میثاق بین‌المللی حقوق مدنی و سیاسی، که ایران خود پایبند به آن است، رفتار یا مجازات غیرانسانی و توهین‏آمیز را قدغن کرده است. (سایت دیدبان حقوق بشر- 19/8/1391)


Post a Comment