Ali Saremi’s Daughter Speaks on Her Father’s Execution


Ali Saremi’s daughter: The news of execution was given to us by my father’s cell mates, not by authorities/My mother was detained

Zeynab Saremi, the daughter of Ali Saremi, the prisoner who was executed Tuesday morning on the charge of Moharabeh [enmity with God] was in front of Evin prison when she told the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran (ICHRI) that the authorities refrained from giving the news of her father’s execution, and the family was informed through Mr. Saremi’s cell mate that the death sentence was possibly carried out. That is why [the family] headed immediately to Evin prison. According to Zeynab Saremi, even the lawyer was not aware of the time of execution. [Translator note: According to the Islamic Republic of Iran's own rules, 48 hours notice is required to be given to the lawyer of the defendant prior to the execution. This rule is repeatedly ignored by Iranian authorities to pave way for secret political executions].

She added that the security forces have arrested her mother, sister, and some of the friends that were accompanying them in front of Evin prison. She was told [by prison authorities] to either get in the police van or leave the prison premises. She told ICHRI that she is waiting to receive her father’s body.

“Last night (around sunset), my father’s cell mates called our home from Karaj’s Gohardasht ‘Rajai Shahr’ prison and said that Ali Saremi has been ‘abducted’ in a suspicious way. The cell mates realized that he was not around. The cell mates told us to be very fearful [of his fate]“, Zeynab Saremi told ICHRI. “We had absolutely no indication that the execution was going to take place. They had not even informed his lawyer. We were, as usual, following up with the case by visiting and writing letters to the Supreme Court and any other authority who we thought could help save our father’s life. Even last night when our family, relatives, and friends gathered outside Evin prison and inquired about my father’s fate, they [prison officials] told us that ‘nothing is going on here. Everybody is asleep. Just leave!”

Saremi’s daughter added, “Around morning prayer call, two ambulances arrived. One of the ambulances was labelled “inspection”, and the other was unmarked. The whole scenario did not even last 30 minutes. After a short while, three chants of ‘Ya Hussein’ were echoed. The reverberation was so strong that it shook our body. After the police forces began to leave one by one, we realized everything was over. My mother was walking back and forth in front of the prison since late night until dawn…”

As for the charges against her father, she said, “The charge of Moharebeh [enmity with God] which they levelled against him is not true at all. The only tie my father had to the People’s Mujahedin of Iran (PMOI) and Camp Ashraf [in Iraq, where most of the PMOI militants are stationed] was that my brother lives in Camp Ashraf. My father had told his interrogators that he was not a member of the Mujahedin and the only reason he had gone to Ashraf was to visit my brother.”

She added, “I ask all human rights organizations not to let the family end up so bereaved. I hope human rights organization prevent them [the Iranian regime] from doing the same to other families.”


Post a Comment